EPSO » Dual Enrollment FAQs

Dual Enrollment FAQs

Dual Enrollment is an opportunity to earn college credit in your high school classes. In a Dual Enrollment course, students earn credit at CHS and a postsecondary institution. (Ex: In Dual Enrollment Survey of American History, students simultaneously earn high school credit for US History and University of Memphis credit for History 2010/History 2020).

Dual Enrollment is an opportunity to save Time AND Money. University courses are steeply discounted and a Dual Enrollment Grant from the State is available to further subsidize the cost. Students can enter College with some of their coursework already completed and potentially shorten the amount of time it takes to earn a degree.

University-level college credit is widely transferable to other colleges/universities throughout the US. Please contact the postsecondary institution(s) for their specific policy on Dual transfer credit.


TCAT Dual Enrollment credit is transferable to any other TCAT in the State and some technical colleges. TCAT clock hours are typically not transferable to most 2-year/4-year colleges and universities.

Currently, we offer: US History, English, College Algebra/Trigonometry, Culinary Arts I-IV, Engineering, Calculus III, Linear Algebra, Nutrition, Sport & Human Performance, Anatomy & Physiology I & II, Personal Finance, American Government, and Oral Communication.

Currently, we offer: Architectural & Engineering Design, Automotive Maintenance & Light Repair, Arts & Design, Cybersecurity, Nursing, Pharmacy Tech, Digital Agronomy, Welding, and Residential/Commercial Construction.

You will need to fill out the Dual Enrollment Grant application each school year that you take Dual classes. You will also need to apply to the postsecondary institution(s) that we partner with for your specific Dual course(s). (University of Memphis and/or TCAT).


See flowchart for additional details. Click HERE.

To be eligible, the student must;

  1. Be a Junior or Senior.
  2. Apply for the grant before the deadline each year.
  3. Be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
  4. Have resided in Tennessee for one year (by the time Dual course begins).
  5. Meet admissions criteria for dual enrollment for the postsecondary institution.
  6. Comply with United States Selective Service requirements (if applicable).
  7. Comply with federal drug-free rules/laws for receiving financial assistance. 

*Students must maintain a 2.75 cumulative GPA in all of their Dual classes to keep the Grant. Once the grant is lost, it cannot be regained.

Students are eligible for 10 Dual Enrollment Grants. Typically, each semester of a DE course uses one grant. Ex: If you are enrolled in one DE class this year, Semester 1 will use Grant #1 and Semester 2 will use Grant #2. If you are enrolled in two DE classes this year, Semester 1 will use Grant #1 and Grant #2, and Semester 2 will use Grant #3 and Grant #4. Students may use up to 3 grants simultaneously if they are HOPE eligible (21 ACT score or 3.0 Unweighted GPA).


Please note: Grants #5 - #10 will pay up to $100/credit hour but will initially be deducted from the student’s HOPE Scholarship if they choose to remain in-state and use HOPE.

If you are eligible for the Dual Enrollment grant, the grant will fully cover the cost of TCAT tuition. If you are not eligible for the grant, the tuition will be $200/semester.


See charts below:


On the CHS grade, students will receive four additional points for each nine-week period and each semester exam (if applicable), along with 1.0 quality point added when calculating the weighted GPA.

Once the course selection process is complete, student-initiated requests to drop a Dual Enrollment course will only be considered if the student is found to be academically misplaced. This includes ALL Dual Enrollment courses, even those courses required for graduation. Additionally, Dual Enrollment courses have added restraints on dropping courses that are enforced by the college/university.

All students must pay the required tuition. Failure to pay Dual Enrollment fees will result in the withholding of student records.