Who: All String Students
Price: Included with orchestra fee.
Solo and ensemble gives students opportunity to be recognized for their individual achievement. Students prepare a solo or ensemble (duet or trio) to perform for judges. The song must be at least 32 measures in length but that may include repeats. Medals are awarded for earning Superior and Excellent. A blue medal recital will be held shortly thereafter.
Soloists choose their own time. They will sign up for a time when they arrive. They may perform between 8 - 12. Plan to wait an hour from when they sign up for a time and when they will perform. If playing in an ensemble plan to coordinate times with all performers. Students should look nice for their performance but there is no strict dress code.
1. Grades K-12
2. Bonafide members of a member school band or orchestra only
3. Wind, string, or percussion students excluding guitar.
1. Solo & Ensemble Registration form must be completed and submitted to Mrs. Fuller by 3/1/18. All students are required to participate. The form is located on the links page.
1. Solos do not have to be played from memory.
2. Solos and ensembles may be played with or without accompaniment.
3. Solos and ensembles may not exceed 5 minutes playing time.
4. Only 1 (one) event per student.
1. Solo and ensemble music may be selected at the discretion of the director and will be judged according to suitability and musical value and must be at least 32 measures in length including repeats.
2. The number of persons for ensembles will be determined by the requirements of the composition not to exceed one player to a part, except for divisi parts where two players may be used.
3. One copy of all solo and ensemble scores with measures numbered consecutively is required for the judge. Directors are individually responsible to see that all current copyright laws are followed. Failure to provide such above score will result in disqualification or the performance will be for comment only.
4. All ensembles must meet full instrumentation in order to receive a rating.
1. Each judge shall indicate on the official ballot a rating for each participant, which shall be his estimate of the quality of the performance.
2. The five ratings to be used are:
DIVISION I SUPERIOR
DIVISION II EXCELLENT
DIVISION III GOOD
DIVISION IV FAIR
DIVISION V POOR
Medals are awarded for a I and II Division rating.
Superior ratings will participate in a Blue Ribbon Recital.