James Hayslip Memorial Scholarship
$1,000.00 will be awarded
The James Hayslip Memorial Scholarship ($1,000) was created to honor the legacy of former Collierville High School Principal, James Hayslip. The recipient of this scholarship will be chosen based on school spirit and dedication to the betterment of Collierville High School. This well-rounded individual should have significant involvement in sports, extracurricular activities and/ or school organizations.
James E. Hayslip, 85, died January 7th, 2020. Over his lengthy career, he received numerous awards including Shelby County Schools Administrator of the Year, Educator of the Year and Collierville Educator of the Year. He was also named the TSSAA Athletic Administrator of the Year, as well as receiving The Commercial Appeal Best of the Preps Sportsmanship Award and being named to the Shelby County Hall of Fame. Mr. Hayslip was also inducted into the University of Memphis Athletic Hall of Fame. He served as official scorekeeper for the Tiger basketball program for over 50 years. Mr. Hayslip was also recently inducted into the Memphis Amateur Athletics Sports Hall of Fame.
- Attended CHS at least 2 years.
- GPA 3.0 or higher.
- A letter of recommendation from a CHS teacher.
- A letter of recommendation from a leader in a community or religious organization.
- A college acceptance letter.
- A full list detailing your activities and achievements during your time at CHS.
- A one-page typed essay explaining why lifelong learning is important, as well as your plans and goals after graduating from Collierville High School.
Preference will be given to candidates planning to attend University of Memphis.
All Alumni scholarship applications should be submitted to Mrs. J. Sisson in the School Counseling Office.
The James Hayslip Memorial Scholarship is available for download/print below: